Wednesday, January 27, 2010

January 27th 2010

Never again! I will never get that behind again! I had to read for 2 hours today to finally catch up. I’m not sure why I fell behind. Was it the weekend away at camp, getting Virginia ready for midterms, coming face to face with my oldest being a licensed driver or just too many meals to plan and execute.
I had so much to read that I have supplemented my underlining with a highlighter because there are too many passages to remember. I also ended up getting out my Concordia study Bible because I found a few things I needed to clarify.

Old Testament

Firstly, I liked how Joseph took no credit for interpreting dreams. When Pharaoh asks if he can tell him what his dreams mean, Joseph says no but god will give the answer.

Why didn’t Joseph’s brothers or father ever seem concerned about Simeon being left in Egypt in prison? They took grain back to Jacob but didn’t return to Egypt until they ran out and needed more. In the meantime in prison he sat.

Why were shepherds detestable to Egyptians? Did they hate sheep too or just shepherds? (Genesis 46)

Along the way to Egypt with Aaron, God tried to kill Moses (Exodus 4). This was very confusing. My study bible says it was actually his son that he tried to kill because he had not been circumcised. I didn’t remember this passage.

New Testament

In this passage Herod had heard about Jesus and decided he must be John the Baptist. I think it is weird he didn’t seemed surprised that someone could return from the dead.
Matthew 13:14b “This is John the Baptist; he has risen from the dead! That is why miraculous powers are at work in him.”

Psalms – Who doesn’t like psalms? But there is a whole lot in there about enemies. I’m glad I don’t have as many as David.

Psalm 17:7-9 I really liked this passage, especially the apple of your eye part. It is such a great picture of God’s care for us.

7 Show the wonder of your great love,
you who save by your right hand
those who take refuge in you from their foes.
8 Keep me as the apple of your eye;
hide me in the shadow of your wings ,
9 from the wicked who assail me,
from my mortal enemies who surround me.

Psalms 18:28 You, Lord keep my lamp burning; my God turns my darkness into light.
(I must remember this. I should write it on a wall in my house somewhere.)

Proverbs 4:4-9
Pay attention and gain understanding.
2 I give you sound learning,
so do not forsake my teaching.
3 When I was a boy in my father's house,
still tender, and an only child of my mother,
4 he taught me and said,
"Lay hold of my words with all your heart;
keep my commands and you will live.
5 Get wisdom, get understanding;
do not forget my words or swerve from them.
6 Do not forsake wisdom, and she will protect you;
love her, and she will watch over you.

No comments:

Post a Comment