Sunday, October 3, 2010

Whatever is true.

Do not gloat when your enemy fails; when he stumbles, do not let your heart rejoice. Proverbs 24:17

I took a class in college called "The Hard Sayings of Jesus". We talked about some of the things in the Bible that sound just too hard to do, impossible to live up to. Thankfully we are not under the law, we are not held to a performance test to attain salvation.

Thank God! No seriously, Thank God that we are free from the law and under grace. Not only is it hard to follow Christ's example it is impossible. The scripture above one of those hard sayings. Who doesn't want to gloat, to feel some satisfaction in the failings of our enemies? Whose heart doesn't rejoice?

At first this scripture made me see my sin. Rejoicing over my enemies failure and then it really hit home. WHAT AM I DOING WITH ENEMIES! I'm just a plain old, middle aged, overweight wife and mother. What kind of enemies do I have?

The easy answer is the litany of names of other moms that are thinner, prettier, respected, smarter, work harder, blah blah blah, it goes on and on. Not my friends of course but those other women, the ones I won't be friends with, the ones I don't even know but have judged from afar.

But taking it even further, my enemy is jealousy. ARgh! Why does it always come down to that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment