Thursday, September 30, 2010

Phillipians 1:27

Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ.

I have this problem. My natural personality lends itself to several types of humor. Irony, tongue-in-cheek mockery and supercilious conceit.

I never swear. If just doesn't suit me. You can swear around me if you want. It won't bother me but don't expect me to join in. Once, in 1985, I tried to give someone the finger. It didn't work. I couldn't get my finger to cooperate.

I love to be considered funny, I can keep a room in stitches. I love public speaking as long as humor is appropriate for the event.

Unfortunately, this can also be my biggest area of sin. I can passive aggressively use humor to cover outright insults (although cover is not the right word, I'm sure it is evident to everyone in the room.)

This battle is over my tongue never ends.

BTW: "irony, tongue in cheek mockery and supercilious conceit" was taken from Florence King one of my favorite misanthropes.

No comments:

Post a Comment