Monday, February 15, 2010

February 15th 2010

Wow! I can't believe it has been 18 days or so since my last post. I promised to never fall behind again but I have. I am spending Presidents Day catching up.

I may not have been keeping up with my Bible readings but I have done a lot of other things with my time. Of course I have managed to read 4 novels and begin a 5th while not reading my Bible. This is my M.O. I LOVE to read but will always make an excuse to read a novel rather than my Bible. I have not named this blog bibleslacker for nothing!

For the last four weeks our pastor has done a series on "Staying in Love". How to keep your marriage for a lifetime. It culminated on Sunday with a renewal of wedding vows for any couple interested. Let me say, what crazy couple would be the ones to stay in their pews at this invitation? You would look stupid , right? We knew about this ahead of time so I guess anyone who didn't want to could have stayed home. We talked about it together before hand and agreed to go up and do it. It felt weird to talk about it though. Is this something to discuss? Why wouldn't we go up. But seriously, my heart worried a little that Les wouldn't want to do it. It was pretend afterall , so I guess this should be easy. But it wasn't pretend. Here you are before the congregation, standing at the altar, with a minister, holding hands and looking into each others eyes. This is REAL. As you get ready to say your vows you have 24 years of marriage to reflect upon as you promise to stay together for another 24 or more. I think it meant more this time than the first time. I am so glad we had the opportunity. I hope we do it every year. My kids thought our kiss was too long and hard. It is nice to know we can even embarrass them by getting married. :)

I have entered a new phase of having a teenage driver. It is great to send the girls off to school each morning so I can get my exercise in before work. I am even more thankful for my dad who picks Ginny up from school at 2pm. Lil drives herself home at 6 after track practice. Ginny goes back at 6pm for play practice and then gets picked up at 9:30pm. It would be nice if we lived closer than 22 minutes from school. It seems like a hundred miles some times. Every time Lil drives off I have a moment of panic about her safety but I have realized I must get over this because it will happen everyday for years and years. I need to give it up to God, so I have.

In my daily Old Testament readings I am at the part that describes the building of the tabernacle, the furnishings and clothing of Aaron. Pretty boring. I tried to make it a game with my family asking Lil to guess what colors of fabric and stones were used for items. I am impressed that when fleeing Egypt the Israelites must have brought a whole bunch of crafting tools with them. AND they must have been amazing craftsman to make what God specified, unless He gave them special abilities when the time came. Of course due to movies, we think the only thing Israelites can do is make bricks with straw!

I'm going to get back to my reading and add another post for the New Testament stuff. I love some of Jesus' "quips" that guy sure has a way with words.

No comments:

Post a Comment